Sunday 16 March 2014

Two Week Countdown


Wow, my how time flies. I’m at my two week mark before I leave for Nigeria. It’s quite strange, it feels so close yet so far. Part of that is probably that I am going on my first real vacation since I started working and am so ancy to get going! A safari, Cape Town and a tour of the Ireland and UK isn’t a bad way to end one amazing adventure.  To think, I went from never leaving North America to being on both Africa and Europe. Yeah, I stand by my statement that 2014 is going to be my year. J
Nick and Kelsie just got back from their vacations yesterday, so it’s really nice to have my partners in crime back.  The last few weeks have been a dull without them, but I’ve managed. Well actually I managed to get terribly ill with some Nigerian bug twice after going out to dinner. Being sick is never fun, but being sick and alone with some weird Nigerian bug is awful. Oh well, I’m on the mend now. It’s funny I have felt a little off ever since moving here, but after being sick like that being off seems like nothing. Two more weeks should be a breeze.
Other than illness, the last few weeks have been very peaceful. It’s been nice to have a little R&R and realize what an adventure this has been. When we went out to Bottles on Wednesday one last time and as we were waiting on the street for our bus and someone said “think about it, we are in Nigeria.” It’s mind boggling to think- Nigeria. Africa. I’ve lived here. Who would have ever thought that me, some Naperville girl would end up here?
Then- At Grandpa's farm

Now- Fat Boy Friday in Nigeria

The places I've lived- 5 and counting


It’s amazing how life has worked out for me. It’s certainly had its ups and downs, but I’ve been truly blessed with a lot of amazing opportunities I never even thought possible. My adventure in Nigeria has been eye opening. I came in with the mindset that things aren’t good or bad, just different. I think it has served me well to see the bigger picture of life and work here. Now I in no way think I’m now sophisticated and cultured because I’ve lived in one other country. And no, this does not make me a world traveler. But it has been humbling to see how other people live and made me appreciate what I have.
I must admit, I’m ready for my next adventure but will certainly miss the friends I have made along the way. Speaking of my next adventure, as quick update I’ll be going into Total Remunerations for Mergers and Acquisitions. I am SO excited about the job, I just haven’t found out if it’s going to be in Houston or San Ramon again. So when I know I’ll let you guys know.
So here’s to two weeks of goodbyes- Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment