Thursday 27 February 2014

NOGIG 2014

I thought all my competitive sports were over after high school, but it turns out I was able to get a second chance this week. After two days of swim meets, we have finally finished the swim event for the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Games (NOGIG). 




Leaving at 7 am from Lekki, I experienced my first commute to the mainland and boy was it painful. I wouldn't say that it's any worse than other US cities, but after 5 months of a 10 minute walk to work it was definitely an adjustment. Upon arrival we were ready and raring to start the event- but this is Nigeria. While we were warming up was the first time the officials decided to put together the logistics of the races. With that being said we didn't start till almost 10, but it was quite nice to get to meet all the other competitors and enjoy the day. Once the races were about to start it was decided that women should only have to do one lap being the delicate creatures we are. There were plenty of breaks and stops along the meet to make sure anyone with back to back events were fully recuperated. I know you ex swimmers are currently cringing but swimming is not a common sport in Nigeria so this was sensible for the safety of the participants. 

Kelsie for the win! 

My 1st win

Team Chevron




Kelsie and I swept shop for the women's events.  I am happy to report that I won the women's breaststroke & butterfly and Kelsie won freestyle and backstroke. Our medley relay only placed 3rd, but overall we metaled in all our races. Our veteran female swimmer took  bronze in freestyle and our mens took home a gold and 2 silvers. Needless to say, we made team Chevron proud. 
 
Kelsie, Bob & I after the awards ceremony


Beyond spending a few beautiful days outside, I am always pleasantly surprised by the things I learn at these events. As expected, the competitors were 100% invested in the events but the good sportsmanship was overwhelming. Everyone was hugging and snapping photos of everyone despite their team. The support my work team, the Lekki camp residents and the Chevron team at the event was overwhelming. 

I must say, it's been a great few days. I'm proud to have represented my company well and meet a bunch of wonderful people. 

I'm at less than one month till I'm off on vacation and back in the US. I'll keep the stories coming until then:)

K-mac

No comments:

Post a Comment