Wednesday 6 November 2013

Officially Initiated

The weekend of food finally caught up with me.  We all knew it was coming, so Friday we laid low with a Fat boy run on the beach and a few drinks.  Then Saturday Ricardo talked me into his spin class before my luxurious Italian lunch at La Veranda. Of course part of our lunch gang new the chef, and so we had plate after plate of creamy pasta dishes come for us to taste. It was a true smorgasbord. We were all so full and happy we only made it down to sit by the pool to smoke hookah.  It was a beautiful afternoon, and it was nice to sit outside.


Then it was back to camp early since the Oro festival is going on through Nov 1-7th. It’s a Yoroba festival where the men bring out the deity Oro for the week to cleanse the streets of evil.  Women are not allowed to see this festival, and if they do they are sentenced to death. Needless to say the 10 p.m. curfew taken pretty seriously.
This gave the camp the perfect excuse to cater in Indian food for our Dwali celebration.  Despite being full from lunch, eating homemade naan was too good to pass up. The night ended pretty early, so a few of us just ended up watching the Life of Mars UK TV series (which is hilarious I might add).
Sunday all my energy was drained, which should have been a warning sign. But I decided to take a swim and then go to a dinner party which was a proper British roast. Dinner parties here are four course meals, and better than most restaurants I have been in the states.
It wasn’t until Monday I really felt off. And then Monday night I died. The scary thing about Nigeria, is you’re never sure what you actually have. If I had been in the US, I would have chalked it up to being a bug but here malaria is a major concern.  So after a little fretting, I managed to make my way to the clinic Tuesday (which is an adventure) and got it confirmed that it indeed, it was only a bug- phew!
I am thinking that all the strange foods and time difference finally caught up to me.  So needless to say I feel officially initiated into Nigeria.
Lata skata- Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment