Wednesday 16 October 2013

Happy Eid al-Adha

Happy Eid al-Adha everyone! Since Nigeria recognizes both Christian and Muslim Holidays, it was announced on Monday that Tuesday and Wednesday were the national holiday Eid al-Adha. This struck me as odd- why would they wait till the last minute to worn us? Turns out, this is a lunar holiday and so people can guess approximately when it will occur, but not far enough in advance to put it on the calendars. 

Eid al-Adha is the holiday where Muslims remember when Ibrahim listened to God and was willing to sacrifice his own son. At the last minute, God stopped him and allowed him to sacrifice a ram instead. As a result, after the mosque a sheep/goat is sacrificed. When driving to the movie theatre on Eid al-Adha, goats were lined up all over the roads as families prepared for the festivities. One goat even caused an entire traffic jam by sitting down in the middle of the road. I suppose he had an idea of what day it was....

To celebrate a day off, Nick and I headed off to the movie theatre to see Runner Runner. We went to pay the cashier and low and behold, the sign was wrong. Not just a little wrong, but totally and completely off. Runner Runner wasn't playing for another 4 hours, so we ended up watching The Company You Keep. And of course, it was holiday price (again not posted). Typical. But it was worth it to get out and about. 

Today started out with a knock on the door bright and early from a neighbor asking me to come to a gym class. So I started off with a zumba class with some other ladies on camp. My neighbor and I then headed to the grocery store to grab a few things- and I am officially done grocery shopping for quite some time. 

It's interesting to hear different people's takes on the Nigeria experience. I am new here, and some of the glamour has worn off as expected. However, I still find myself really content. But it doesn't take much to find a few bitter souls. Actually, I found myself woke up by a phone call from a neighbor asking me if I was hanging in there only to have an hour rant coming my way. I realize I have been extremely fortunate to have a roommate and people like Nick around to have made this transition easier. And yes, if you let it anything and everything will get to you. Patience was never my strong suit, but I came in with no expectations which I think has been a saving grace. Things are different, nothing is simple and spontaneity is limited yet doable. It's about keeping in the right mind set. People say there is nothing to do here. Honestly, people could say that about anywhere. What I have figured out is that it is all about the people around me. 

I spent the entire afternoon laying out by the pool tanning and swimming. I finished my book. I watched a family with quintuples play at the park right next door. It didn't even feel like I was in Nigeria. 

So I can say after a few middle of the week lazy holidays, thinks are ag (all good) on this end.

Stay classy-Kate:)

No comments:

Post a Comment