Saturday 5 October 2013

Safe and Sound

After months of anticipation I am happy to inform you all I have made it safe and sound to Nigeria! I want to start off by thanking everyone who helped me make it here ok possible. I guess I'll give you a quick run down of this adventure from the beginning....

The journey started off with a few hours in the Delta lounge living the lifestyle of the rich and the famous. The luxury continued when I flew first class to Atlanta to quickly hop to business class to Lagos. Talk about an easy flight. Honestly, flying 11 hours to Nigeria sleeping, watching movies and eating five course meals beat any 4 hour flight back to Chicago. I was fortunate enough to meet a wonderful member of the US Consulate that helped guide me through the Lagos airport. After breezing through security I met my driver who assisted in grabbing my bags and then it was off to the car.

To get to the car was about a half mile walk down a sidewalk that was a sneak peak into life in Lagos. People crowded the streets in a mix of both traditional and western wear. The sidewalks were covered in a few inches of water, and we finally stumbled upon our van. Greeted by two Nigerian employees, we buckled up and prepared for the next leg of the journey- the drive to Lekki. 

The driving in Lagos is literally bumper to bumper. Cars are merely inches away from one another, consistently honking and swerving. Due to the rain parts of the streets had flooded, with only vans, trucks and SUVs daring to make it through. People flocked the street selling anything and everything imaginable from books to windshield wipers and even lumber. All these products were stacked in baskets on balanced on top of their head as if it was as easy as wearing a shoe on your foot. 

After a few hours of traffic due to the Holy Ghost Service that takes place the first Friday of every month, we made it to the Lekki Peninsula and to my new home for the next six months. With only a few minor hickups, I received my key to my new townhome and was amazed at how modern it was. With 2 bedrooms, a car, 2 1/2 baths, a back porch and patio this place is certainly comparable to my old gigs in Walnut Creek. This is all greatly due to the fact that the wonderful furnishings were all shipped over by my roommate, Kelsie who is here on a longer assignment. 

All and all, it's been a great start to what's bound to be an epic adventure. 











No comments:

Post a Comment