Thursday 10 October 2013

No Such Thing As Simple

Calabar, here I come. Today Nick and I booked our first adventure beyond Lagos, and let me tell you it was quite the production. What may take 2 minutes in the US took a day of planning, calling and making a trip to the GT Bank. Let me just explain the steps so you know what I mean:

1. Call the money man and set up an appointment to get Nira (Nigerian money) from crisp bills over a certain dollar range and they have to be new bills. If you don't have US cash you have to bring a check to the cashier at Chevron.

2. Get your supervisor on board. After chatting with my supervisor (who is absolutely wonderful) I had to explain the trip was indeed safe and that I was going with a tour group. I must admit, I truly appreciate the concern people have for me.

3. Upon approval and Nira, then set up a time with your driver to get you to the bank. 

4. Get to the bank and go through the same sort of security (and line) to enter the bank. Yes, this means I had to go through a security detector with my arms in the air.

5. Get in line to fill in the forms to then transfer the money. Thankfully we were lucky enough to run into a co-worker who identified by our badge ( and told us to take them off for safety purposes- good call) to help us navigate this process. 

Then back to camp! It was quite the adventure, and makes your realize just how different something we consider a simple task can be. BUT the moral of the story is that I have a nice long weekend coming up to a different place in Nigeria. Just like you wouldn't go to only NYC in the US, I wouldn't be taking full advantage of my time here if I didn't see other places (although admitably safety is a concern in places here limiting my options. Hence, seizing opportunities like this are a must. 

On another front I once again tried Nigerian food, and this time I found some things I liked. It's still an adjustment (nobody's forcing me- I'm just trying to culturally integrate myself on some level) but I found some mashed beans people put with the meat and pounded yam that was spicy but not bad. I couldn't bring myself to try the intestine meat, but they did have a lentil soup that was similar to the one's back home. And as always, I love their biscuits and soda. Although I was laughing at how this is one hell of a diet as I can only eat a few bites of everything before I am done. 

And since it's occurring, I'll note that the electricity goes out once a night for about a minute or so. It's really not problematic, and I realize our generators are working overtime around here.

Anyways, that all the updates for now.  Goodbye for now, or as they say in Yoruba- O dabo!

No comments:

Post a Comment