Sunday 6 October 2013

New Kid on the Block

Living on the compound in Lekki is very much like living in a small urban town. To get around the entire outskirts is about 1 1/2 miles. Within this small area is a tight knit community of expats welcoming me to my new life in Nigeria. 

My first day post jet leg Kelsie took me on the grocery store shopping experience. Being brand new to the expat world, I found myself worn out by continuously converting from nira to dollars and pounds to kilograms. I finally got the hang of it by are third store. The brands and food are different as expected, but you can seem to find anything you want as long as your willing to pay for it. I found myself with a mishmash of items since produce is both different and expensive. We shall see what I end up eating this week...

We then went to lunch at a cafe where a burger and Heineken hit the spot. Although I just came from the land of burgers and fries, I can tell it's a rare treat for those on the compound since you have to be extremely sensitive to what meat you get. Even the vegetables have to be washed in a special chlorine to ensure it's safe.  

When the driver brought us back over 5 hours had passed and jet lag set in once more and I collapsed. When I woke up from my nap, I explored the different parts of the compound including the pool, gym, tennis courts and volleyball courts. Each person I ran into instantly new I was new, and went our of their way to introduce themselves. Nick then stopped by and we all sampled Kelsie's own home-brew. Not a bad way to end my first full day in Lagos. 

The next morning one of my new co-workers hosted a beautiful brunch. This brunch seriously topped any swanky place in the US. It was nice to meet some more people. By the time brunch was over it was already 4 pm. The neighbors dog needed a walk since they were out of town, so a quick walk in the cool night air was refreshing way to end my weekend. 

Turns out being the new kid isn't so bad after all. 








No comments:

Post a Comment